It is definitely not a secret that I am obsessed with the Cook Islands. And by Cook Islands, I mean one of them in particular. That’s right, welcome to another post about my favourite place in the whole world – Rarotonga.
This time, however, it’s going to be a little different. A question I’m often asked about Rarotonga is, “Is there much to do there, though?” To be fair, when you tell people about an island that is just 32km around, you can forgive them when they ask if there’s anything to do.
Here, in no particular order whatsoever, are not one, not two, but 50 awesome things you can do and see to keep yourself occupied on this little slice on heaven….
50 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN RAROTONGA
- Grab a burger from Palace Takeaways during their Happy Hour (Wednesdays from 8am-8pm).
- Read your favourite book by the sparkling lagoon.
- Do the entire Cross-Island Trek.
- Go swimming at Titikaveka Beach.
- Enjoy the island buffet and Island Show at the Edgewater Resort & Spa.
- Visit the Shipwreck Hut for sunset cocktails and live music (make sure to give the resident doggo, Dexter, a big cuddle too).
- Ride around the entire island on a scooter (it only takes an hour or so).
- Or, if you’re feeling game, ride a bicycle around the entire island (this will definitely take longer than an hour).
- Do the Matutu Brewery tour (it is on at 12pm and 1pm every day and only costs $15).
- Get a sugar & coffee hit at the Waffle Shack.
- Take a sunset walk along the lagoon.
- Hike Mount Raemaru.
- Snorkel through the clear waters of the Aroa Marine Reserve.
- Play mini-golf over a couple of beers at CocoPutt.
- Watch a local rugby league game.
- Head to High Tide Bar & Grill for their $20 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet.
- Hire kayaks to paddle around Muri Lagoon.
- Explore the island on a buggy tour.
- Ride the local bus all the way around the island.
- Hike Te Rua Manga (also known as the Needle).
- Grab dinner with a view at the Islander Hotel.
- Spend a Saturday morning at the Punanga Nui Markets.
- Go surfing at Socials.
- Devour one of the huge sandwiches or burgers at Charlie’s Café.
- Snorkel around Muri Lagoon.
- Climb a palm tree.
- Sing karaoke at the Roadhouse Bar & Restaurant.
- Visit Maire Nui Botanical Gardens.
- Eat your heart out at the Muri Night Markets.
- Make new doggy friend at the beach.
- Grab coffee and cake at LBV Bakery at Muri Beach.
- Watch the sunset with a pina colada at Wilson’s Beach Bar.
- Build rock towers at Black Rock Beach.
- Visit Te Vara Nui Village.
- Go snorkelling at Papua Passage.
- Grab a coffee at Beluga.
- Take a walk around Avaura Harbour.
- Visit the Cook Islands National Museum.
- Hire snorkelling gear from the Dive Centre.
- Attempt to hike Maungatea Bluff (this hike defeated us so if you make it to the top, I want to know about it).
- Enjoy a meal on the deck at Trader Jack’s.
- Paddle around Taakoka Island at Muri lagoon on a SUP.
- Visit a local church on a Sunday morning.
- Play golf at the Rarotonga Golf Club.
- Head out on one of Captain Tama’s Lagoon Cruises.
- Go grocery shopping at the huge CITC supermarket.
- Visit the cultural centre.
- Treat yourself to a nice meal at the Anchorage restaurant at the Sunset Resort.
- Do the ‘Going Troppo’ nightlife tour.
- Eat a fresh coconut!
There you have it – 50 ways to keep yourself occupied in gorgeous Rarotonga!
P.S – don’t forget to sign up for TraveLibro! It’s a totally free, totally awesome travel app where you can follow my adventures, share your own and much more! Click here to sign up, and don’t forget to follow me so I can follow you back!!
Have I missed anything awesome to do in Rarotonga? Tell me in the comments!